I’m sure you think I’ve posted way too many pumpkin recipes but clearly there is no such thing as “too many pumpkin recipes”. You’re in for a treat today as we switched things around at the #MuffinMonday HQ this week and instead of picking a recipe for everyone to give their very own twist on – I chose the theme. And that theme is, of course, pumpkin!
The challenge to the bakers was wide open: They could go sweet or savory. Mini or large. I left it up to them entirely. And the result? This post just became your go-to page for pumpkin muffin recipes.
First up, Elena from 3 Green Onions. I’m so glad that she chose to go savory. Spinach and feta is a winning combination in itself, but adding pumpkin to the mix was just brilliant.
Linda from The Urban Mrs went with my favorite combination of all time: chocolate and pumpkin. The twist? It’s a steamed muffin. Doesn’t that sound intriguing?
Sweet Jennie decided to go savory too and made us a stuffed pumpkin recipe – Thanksgiving and Halloween in one muffin: An unmissable double celebration!
Too much indulgence? Enter Carrie with her gluten-free recipe. What I like most about her creation is it has a combination of almond and coconut flour – yum!
Next we have Stacy from Food Lust People Love. I guessed Stacy was going to pick a savory muffin, but I was wrong and she surprised me with a wonderful, irresistible combination of Pumpkin Hazelnut Marshmallow Muffins. Must. Try. Soon.
And lastly we have Nastassia from Let Me Eat Cake, who went with warm spices and a simply delicious pumpkin muffin.
As for my variation – the sweet and simple Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins. Warm spices, fresh puree, rolled in cinnamon and dunked in sinful butter.
I did make one tiny change to original recipe – before brushing the muffin with butter I poked a few holes on top so that the butter would seep in so that when you bite into it, the tiny little pockets of butter explode in your mouth. You don’t taste this little muffin, You experience it.
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 21/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1¼ cups pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 12 standard muffin cups.
- Make the Muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice mix; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and pumpkin; set aside.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low, then add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of the pumpkin mixture, beating until barely combined. Turn off the mixer and fold the batter a few times with a rubber spatula to catch any pockets of flour that weren’t incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffins cups (about a heaping ⅓ cup batter). Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- While the muffins are resting, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Working with one muffin at a time, remove the muffins from the pan, brush all over with the melted butter, then toss to coat in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Return to the wire rack and let cool completely.
30 Responses to #MuffinMonday: Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins
I want a muffin now! love your blog
Too much pumpkin? Heck, no! There’s no such thing as too much pumpkin. I’m always game for sweet pumpkin dessert, and these look yummy!
Be still my heart! Doughnut muffins? Yes please.
How delicious! I love the sugar coating.
Oh my goodness, I do love muffins! I found the savory twist especially enticing.
You know what else is enticing? The thought of pockets of butter exploding in my mouth. Oh my!
ahahaha baker street HQ & of course pumpkin is the theme. Send some over so I can wallow my hurricane Sandy’s sorrows in some muffins! :)
These would be so dangerous for me!
I think they all look amazing and I wouldn’t know how to choose just one if I had to. I think your idea of the holes before buttering your muffins is genius.
I love everyone’s spin on the “pumpkin” theme. I’m seriously not tired of it…no way:)Savory muffins sound so tempting. Great Muffin Monday, An:)
Can’t have too much pumpkin! I made pumpkin doughnut muffins a few weeks ago and they are irresistible!
I NEED one right now!
You need to come over Anuradha, stop teasing me here in goa! =P
I can’t decide!! I really like that streusel one but then I love the pumpkin doughnut one. I’ll have to do both. :)
“tiny little pockets of butter explode in your mouth”… haha.. you really know how to entice people!!!
Oh my goodness! These doughnut muffins look amazing!!!! LOVE this!! Seriously, this looks perfect! and love all the others too!
I loved how you gave us so much freedom to go wild this week:) and you and those pockets of butter just about killed me:) oh, and happy birthday!
Pumpkin-tastic!! This looks like a winner!!
I’m on your side … There is never too much pumpkin :-)
I would love to experience these!
Beautiful photos and gorgeous muffins! The Brown Eyed Baker did a pumpkin doughnut muffin a few weeks ago and ever since, I’ve been dying to make them. Seeing your version seals the deal – I’m making these this week! Thanks for being the final push I needed ;)
Donut muffins? I never knew such a thing existed and now I don’t think I can live without these. Amazing.
A tray of these beauties would not be enough my friend :D
Choc Chip Uru
Your pumpkin Donuts look amazing! There one of my favorites!!
This is great…I love all pumpkin recipes, I will add this to my list.
Oh no, you definitely can never have enough pumpkin recipes! I adore sweet or savory pumpkin recipes for sure:-) I love all the different variations of muffins everyone made, the ones with the marshmallows is pretty fun idea for sure:-) AND this real butter lovin’ girl, loves the idea of explosions of butter in each bite, YUM!!! Hugs, Terra
Oooh, these look just amazing! I wish I had one in front of me right now. Oh, + just a heads-up – i was unable to get on your blog for pretty much all of yesterday. I can’t remember the exact error message, but it was something about your server. Hopefully it’s because you have so much traffic that your blog was just overwhelmed. =) But I did want to let you know!
It seems my first comment attempt was eaten by the comment gremlins so here I am to try again. Poking holes to allow the butter to soak into the muffin is genius! I can just taste the butter and cinnamon sugar crunching on the top of that divine pumpkin doughnut muffin now. Gotta give this a try!
these pumpkin donuts look awesome… almost looks like a muffin… i guess a little bit of both.. :-)
Mmmm….these are my kind of muffins!! Another winner (I’m sure I say that about ALL your Monday muffins!).