The inspiration for these muffins comes from my Apple Pie Bread. This week we chose to give our own twist to Dorie Greenspan’s All Spice Crumb Muffin.
In my version, I just made a couple of minor changes to Dorie’s recipe. I replaced the all spice with my homemade apple pie spice mix. And adding a shredded a medium size apple instead of cutting it into chunks; this ensured tiny nibbles of apples in every bite. One thing you may want to keep in mind is to drain off all the excess liquid from the shredded apple so that the batter doesn’t become thin and watery. Adding nuts is always an option but I recommend adding currants. If you have the time, soak them in the excess apple juice for 20 to 30 minutes so that they take in all the flavors. And even though the original recipe lists lemon zest as an optional ingredient, I suggest not skipping it because it pairs exceptionally well with the sweet apples.
Another way to make these muffins would be to use an organic apple pie jam filling in the center, which would be a nice surprise in these cake like muffins. But I love the freshness of the fruit blending with the warm homemade blend of spices.
These muffins are so moist, sweet and absolutely divine. The sweet buttery streusel topping really gives it that crunch and balances perfectly with the soft and tender muffins.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice mix
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple (shredded and liquid drained off)
- ⅓ cup currants
- Grated zest of lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and generously grease or line a 12 hole muffin pan.
- Put the flour, brown sugar and apple pie spice mix in a small bowl and sift them through your fingers to blend.
- Add the bits of cold butter and toss to get irregularly shaped crumbs. Add the currants and mix and until evenly distributed.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for the moment. (Kitchen Tip: You can make the crumbs up to 3 days ahead and keep them covered in the refrigerator.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, apple pie spice mix, brown sugar and salt. Mix well making sure there are no lumps. Add the currants and mix until evenly distributed.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, milk, shredded apples, and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- Pour the apple mixture over the dry ingredients and whisk gently but quickly stir to blend.
- Add the zest gently mix to combine. The batter would be lumpy but that’s okay, do not overmix it.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle some streusel over each muffin, then use your fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden or a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up
54 Responses to #MuffinMonday: Apple Pie Crumb Muffins
sounds yum think i might give this one a try tomorrow :)
Muffins look really yummy. nice one
Lovely muffins! I like the addition of apples and currants too. Yum!
I love apple muffins and I love yours! The crumb topping is gorgeous!!! What a great way to start the week!!
That streusel topping takes these muffins over the top!! I want a bite! And, I agree, never ever skip the lemon zest in anything. :)
I love the currents added in! such a wonderful teture contrast. these muffins are beauties. I really hsould make my own apple pie spice – it sounds too easy. And the melted butter – a full stick – i can imagine how moist and soft these are!
I love apple pie and I love muffins. Thank you for putting them all together for me!
APPLE. PIE. MUFFINS?! Is this real life?
Awesome looking muffins!!Love the apple pie spice in there and the streusel topping sounds so so good :)Might try this this coming weekend!
Miss AN. I love anything apple & of course am mad for muffins, always! Apples are my most favorite fruit in desserts! Yu-um!
I like this streusel topping… those little currants (chopped?) in it!! and i like the addition of the apple pie mix.. infact i even have a muffin recipe .. where I could make use of this apple spice idea!! it would be awesome!! thanks for sharing A!!
Some Monday, I’ll have to join you in your round-up.. I love a good muffin! These sweet little bites would be just perfect with my coffee this morning! And I have apples to use up:D
I’m looking forward to that, Barbara! :)
I love the addition of the currants and apples and now I need to make the apple pie spice mix. How wonderful is that!? I would certainly add the cardamom and cloves.
These look divine!
They look simply amazing! Love all the flavor combinations, it has Fall written all over!
Love a crumb top! beautiful muffins :)
These muffins looks so appetizing. Love the streusel toppings and nibbles of apples in the muffins. Who can resist to enjoy one or two of these yummy treats :)
Apple pie in muffin form is my favourite my friend this is stunning :)
Choc Chip Uru
I love this recipe! It sounds incredible. I must make!!
Love apple muffins! Such a great way to start a day.
this is a muffin I could have everyday of the week. i love my apple pies and my muffins- this is the best of both worlds!
Lovely looking muffins!
Oh I love a crumb-topped muffin!
Wow these look good and love the piece they are sitting on.
Beautiful pics! These look fantastic.
Your muffins make me hungry. I love the baking cases you used…!!!
Thanks Nydia! :)
MMmmm….grated apple muffin with a streusel topping! I can’t think of a nicer way to start my day!
These sound wonderful! I love the addition of the currants and the lemon zest!
I love muffins in pretty much any form, but these with the apples sound amazing!
I love that recipe; this looks like a great twist.
I love those beautiful tops! I bet the cake inside is just as delicious as it looks! A great twist to apple pie.
I’ll bet you didn’t even miss not one smidge of those other spices. Not with homemade apple pie spice gracing these lovelies.
With all those options for the muffins I am wanting to make some.
Hey, thanks for that lovely Nutella Cheese cake recipe. I made few days ago and not only daughter but we all loved it.
YAY! Good to know it turned out well :)
These muffins look wonderful with streusel layer!
I’m automatically attracted to anything with streusel on top! Love the buttery layer :D
This looks like such a wonderful muffin recipe, I can always do with a good one to start the day. Not to mention the photos are gorgeous. :)
I want one right now – these look ah-mazzing!
I’m a sucker for anything streussel!! These look awesome!
I love apple season and am always looking for new ways to use them,, these muffins look FAB~~
These look delicious. Perfect for a Monday morning!
your muffins look absolutely fantastic! i need to try these!
Organic apple pie jam? Now that’s a suggestion! Love your take on Dorie’s already fabulous muffins this week!
Love a good crumb topping on a muffin!
Mmm, these sound and look delicious. I love the addition of currants. Yum!
Apple pie… muffins! Yes Please!! These look great. :)
Hi A. I make your recipes all the time (mmm, olive oil bread) and am a Dorie devotee. Can’t wait to try these. Just wanted to double-check on the 1/4 cup of vanilla extract, though. That isn’t part of Dorie’s original recipe. I’m concerned that it would use so much of such an expensive ingredient. Thank you.
Oops! That’s 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I’ve updated the recipe :)
Wonderful! Those muffins look incredibly delicious.
Oh my God! These are really gorgeus!
I’d like to eat one of them…or two…or more!
Have a nice day.
You had me with the apple….oh then you added the crumble ,,,,,how damn perfect