Muffin Monday has had its fair share of savory muffins (okay, not entirely fair) and over the last year we stumbled upon and shared some fantastic recipes. Here are my top 3 savory muffins of the year gone by:
At number three: Spinach and Feta Muffins:
On second position is: Bacon Crusty Cheese and Onion
And number one, the numero uno savory muffin of the year goes to: Pesto Pine Nut and Parmesan Muffins
In fact the Pesto Pine Nut and Parmesan Muffins are from the fantastic book, 1 Mix 100 Muffins which I’m giving away today. A superb book with a hundred basic, no-fail recipes of a great mix of healthy, savory and decadent muffins. 100 recipes from a single mix, you’re thinking, wouldn’t that get repetitive and boring switching spices or adding and replacing the berries? Absolutely not. You’re in a for a real surprise and a treat.
Continuing our celebration of Muffin Monday completing a year, we have 3 weeks of giveaways. This one is a gift from me to my readers. I’m sponsoring two copies of Suzanna Tee’s 1 Mix, 100 Muffins. And this one is open to everyone.
This book can be yours. All you have to do is leave a comment and answer this simple question: What is your favorite muffin?
For additional entries; leave a separate comment for EACH of your entries.
*If you’re already following me on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest and/or already subscribe to Baker Street leave a comment for that counts as an entry too.
You will also need to:
– Follow Baker Street on Pinterest.
– Join Baker Street on Facebook.
– Share on Facebook: Win a copy of 1 Mix, 100 Muffins #Giveaway via @bakerstreet29 & celebrate #MuffinMonday ‘s 1st anniversary
– Follow Baker Street on Twitter.
– Tweet away: Win a copy of 1 Mix, 100 Muffins #Giveaway via @bakerstreet29 & celebrate #MuffinMonday‘s 1st anniversary
– Follow Baker Street on Stumbleupon and give this post a like
– Subscribe to Baker Street via email.
– Follow Baker Street on Google+
Remember:– This giveaway is open to everyone, no matter where you are in the world. – It will be open until Sunday, June 24 at 11:59 pm EST. – Winner will be generated via a random number generator and will have 24 hours to respond to the email. – Make sure you leave a valid email address. – The books will be shipped by me therefore, I will send at my convenience.
Now onto today’s recipe: we share yet another savory delight. The recipe is from Mark Scarbrough and Bruce Weinstein’s The Ultimate Muffin Book. Allow me to present to you, the Roasted Garlic and Barbecue Ham Muffin.
Changes and Variations: The original recipe is a vegetarian’s delight – Roasted Garlic muffins but I adapted it in a way that would be make a perfect breakfast for my husband. I added a huge slice about 1/3 cup of barbecued ham and sprinkled some fresh pepper and parmesan before it when into the oven. You can also, try adding basil, bacon, sun dried tomatoes or pine nuts.
- 1 medium garlic head (about 3 ounces)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Nonstick spray or paper muffin cups
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup milk (whole, low-fat, or nonfat)
- ¾ cup small-curd cottage cheese, or cream-style cottage cheese (regular or low-fat, but not nonfat)
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped barbecue ham
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the top quarter off the garlic head so that the cloves are exposed. Discard the top quarter. Place the garlic on a small sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with 1 table- spoon of the olive oil, then fold and seal the sides of the foil to create a pouch around the garlic. Place directly on the oven rack and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the garlic smells sweet and the cloves are soft. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes without unwrapping. Maintain the oven’s temperature.
- To prepare the muffin tins, spray the indentations and the rims around them with nonstick spray, or line the indentations with paper muffin cups. If using silicon muf- fin tins, spray as directed, then place the tins on a baking sheet.
- Squeeze the cooled pulp from the garlic cloves into a large bowl, discarding the papery husks. Mash the garlic with a fork, then whisk in the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, and remaining ¼ cup of the olive oil. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse the garlic flavor into the mixture.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Parmigiano-Reggiano, sugar, baking powder, ham and salt in a small bowl until uniform. Stir this dry mixture into the garlic mixture with a wooden spoon until moistened.
- Fill the prepared tins three-quarters full. Use additional greased tins or small, oven- safe, greased ramekins for any leftover batter, or reserve the batter for a second bak- ing. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins have lightly browned, rounded tops and a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out with a crumb or two attached.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release and remove it from the tin. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes more on the rack before serving. If storing or freezing them, cool them completely before sealing in an airtight container or in freezer-safe plastic bags. The muffins will stay fresh for up to 24 hours at room temperature or up to 1 month in the freezer.
Muffin Monday: Round Up
119 Responses to #MuffinMonday: Roasted Garlic and Barbecue Ham MuffinsNewer Comments →
Roasted garlic and bbq ham muffins are truly different. :)
My favorite muffin is so “common” that I hesitate to write it. Blueberry muffin topped with lemon zest and sugar.
What a great competition!
I love that muffins are so versatile, be it sweet, savoury or in between.
My recent creation included some Lemon Myrtle, Pistachio and Carrot muffins. They were really good and I will revisit these again soon. Recipe to come on the blog. x
What a beautiful savoury muffin my friend – great twist :D
My favourite muffin? While I would be expected to say chocolate chip, my favourite is actually blueberry or apple struesal muffin (can never decide between the two :D)
I like spinach feta muffins. Great post!
I always want to say ‘you’ve really outdone yourself’ with these muffins. but you continue to churn out the best muffin flavors and combos I’ve ever seen, so they’re ALL magnificent. LOVE roasted garlic, I can eat it like candy My fave muffin? Pretty much all of yours, but in every day blah life..chocolate chip -raspberry ;D
I tweeted, and I follow you on twitter and SU :)
wow gal, this is a really cool muffin recipe..an unusual and delicious flavour combo.
Any muffins with fresh berries is my favourite.
I’m not gonna lie. I did a double take when I read the title for this muffin. Roasted garlic and barbecue ham? No way. That sounds amazing. Girl, you come up with the most creative muffin recipes, and we love ya for it. Thanks for being the queen of muffins.
oooh.. they all look soo good.. and i’d enjoy all of them.. but if i ahd to choose.. can i have the bacon and crusty cheese one for breakfast tomorrow!!!! :)
I’m kind of boring, but my favorite muffin is blueberry! I just love it!!
Lovelu muffins this week! Love the addition of ham. My favorite muffin is actually just blueberry. Simple :) Although, through muffin Monday I’ve certainly come to appreciate fancier muffins ;)
Wow! These look incredible. They are so unique and have amazing flavors. I think I would eat way too many of them in one sitting!
Mmm, does a corn muffin count as a favorite?
I already follow you on twitter. @SMunchimunch
Tweeted about your giveaway. https://twitter.com/SMunchimunch/status/214723503117709313
These look awesome – I would never have thought to include such savory ingredients into a muffin! I love any muffin that is filled with jam! Most recently I’ve been making lemon ricotta muffins with homemade berry-rhubarb jam!
I am partial to those raisin bran muffins, the one made with the cereal. Don’t know why, but they really hit the spot.
I love fresh blueberry muffins. I also live baking muffins with fresh goat cheese! Thanks for a fun giveaway!
I always prefer savory muffins over sweet !!!!truly love the combined flavor of roasted garlic with barbecued ham ….they look so delicious !!!!!!!
Love muffins – but my favorite is still a simple good blueberry muffin :)
I follow you on Pinterest
I like you on FB
I follow you on Twitter
I tweeted (https://twitter.com/jilliebean_j/status/214777326758658048)
Roasted garlic and barbecue ham muffin? Why haven’t I been told about this before?!! What a fantastic idea. I’m not much of a muffin fan – so many are too sweet – but this is wonderful. Thanks so much.
I follow you on Stumbleupon and liked this post
Savory Muffins are always my favorite..
This looks fabulous!!
I subscribe via email
You do come up with some tasty muffins. I would go for the vege recipe but my hubby would go for this one. Very creative. I still love that spianch feta muffin.
I follow you on Google+
wow, such a delicious sounding savory muffin! i really need to try a savory muffin, they look amazing!
Wow…these savory muffins are all amazing. I would have never thought of roasted garlic and ham in a muffin, but I am loving it. Would be so perfect for brunch!
What a perfect breakfast muffin!! I could use one of these right about now! :)
Oh I love this giveaway! My current favorite muffin is my blueberry-Mascarpone muffin, but I love spinach & feta, so I need to try your savory muffin! :)
I follow on Pinterest.
I follow on Twitter.
I follow on Facebook.
My fav is the Doughnuts Muffin! So good! Tastes like a doughnuts but no frying! Like a sugar glazed plain doughnut! They go faerie round here! That Bacon n Cheese on your page may be my new fav! Gotta make it first tho.
Thanks for the giveaway! :)
I follow Baker Street via email!
I like Baker Street on FB!
I follow Baker Street on Pinterest as Blue Strong! (Same name for FB)
I also follow you on Google+ as Terri Betz! :)
Thanks for the giveaway chances!
A Muffin with garlic sound very delicious, looks perfect for breakfast…, it could be one my favorites savoru muffin.
I followed you by mail
I think my favorite muffin is cranberry orange. These BBQ ham muffins have a fabulous Southern flair!
Favourite muffin? Really? That’s not fair, I live muffins in all forms and varieties!
Pine nut and parmesan are definitely my top savory muffin pick too! I’ve still yet to make a real savory muffin, but I’m definitely bookmarking this one and putting it at the top of my list :)
These savory muffins look delicious! Love your cute liners too!
I actually would probably prefer savory muffin over sweet one. I know, crazy right? :-)
OK – it’s time for me to admit that I’ve never been a real fan of sweet muffins; however, these savory muffins – Oh MY! I would eat all 3 of these in one sitting! They all sound SO GOOD! I don’t know which one I would like more. Thanks for bringing these recipes to our attention!
Thanks for sharing this recipe, An! I think I may actually like savoury muffins now… with or without bacon! The spinach and feta muffins look lovely!
I hate that I missed this recipe; we’re starting packing now and we had so many birthday celebrations that my attention was just too divided. I’m still not a savory muffin convert, but they look pretty darn tasty. Congrats, again, on a year of muffinery!
Wow very interesting concept of the book and I already love it. What a cool book, and thanks for the generous giveaways! My favorite muffins? If I have to pick just one… then it has to have blueberry in it. :-)
I follow you on FB already.
I already follow your Twitter too.
Started following on Google+
Already following your Pinterest.
My favorite muffin is carrot apple sauce muffin
your photo is breathtaking! It looks so professional and elegant!
I found your blog through pinterest and I love the idea of the book, muffins are a favorite in my family, if I had to choose one it would be banana muffins with strussil topping
I am now following you on pinterest
I am now following you on twitter
and I am following you on facebook too
More savory muffins please because I think by now you know my taste is not for sweet desserts. I of course admire all the desserts you have been sharing and which are splendid I must say. Strange though that I am one of a kind who don’t have sweet tooth.
I need to try my hand at savory muffins…my hubby does not like quick breads, but I think he might eat a version with ham :) My favorite muffin is apple….mmmmmmm.
My favorite muffin is double chocolate…more like dessert but I tell myself it is a muffin. I save it only for special occasions.
I follow you on Pinterest.
I like Bakerstreet on FB.
I follow on Twitter.
Ummm…omg I love roasted garlic anything. And I guess my favorite muffin would probably be some sort of cinnamon streusel-y thing….or a really good chocolate/chocolate chip one…or poss. peanut butter…I can never choose!
Love any savory muffin. Great papers!
It is like dinner in a muffin!
Lovely savory muffins with roasted garlic in it. You know how to win your readers.
I follow you by email, twitter and pinterest.
I just tweeted about savory muffins and the giveaway.
Delicious muffins collections. I will go with roasted garlic always.
Roasted Garlic and Ham?? I love it. Muffin Mondays are my favorite days!!!
I love savory muffins and you have so many delicious looking, super creative recipes for them here! Love them all!
you are so creative! WOW! I am totally impressed! love this
Wow, gorgeous muffins and with ham and roasted garlic in there, ultra delish!!I love your savory muffin collection.So irresistible :)
Yum! You make some great savory muffins!!
I think my favorite are lemon poppy seed OR any muffin loaded with chocolate, lol!