A good break from the sweet muffins. These muffins are great as a side for breakfast or alongside a bowl of warm soup.
- Olive oil (optional), to grease
- 3 medium (about 550g) Desiree potatoes
- 225g (1½ cups) plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 125g (1 cup) grated cheddar
- 2-3 tablespoons rosemary, coarsely chopped.
- 80mls (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 125 mils (1/2 cup) milk
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 12 medium (125mls/ ½-cup) muffin pans with the olive oil to lightly grease or line them with paper cases.
- Peel and then coarsely grate the potatoes. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated potatoes using your hands.
- Sift together the plain flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add the grated potatoes, 90g (3/4 cup) of the cheddar and rosemary and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the olive oil, eggs, and milk. Add to the potato mixture, season well with salt and pepper and stir with a large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin pans and sprinkle with the remaining 35g (1/4 cup) cheddar. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand in pans for 2-3 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up