Coconut was the pick of this week. The combination of vanilla and coconut is ancient and has its genesis in South-east Asian cuisine.
I used a combination of coconut milk, shredded coconut in the batter and sprinkled on top, and fragrant vanilla essence. A very basic recipe with a hint of the exotic for a perfect start to this maniacal Monday.
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (regular or coconut)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Stir in shredded coconut.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Stir until the wet ingredients are almost fully combined and only a few streaks of flour remain.
- Pour in the melted butter and stir until butter is completely incorporated and no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
- Divide evenly into prepared muffin pan (cups will be quite full).
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up