After a long streak of sweet muffins, it was time to savor some savory. Baking for breakfast on the go, these basil infused muffins will ready you for a daunting Monday like no other. So take five minutes off, sit down, warm one (or three!) of these, smear with garlic infused butter and take a bite of heaven.
I didn’t make any radical changes in the recipe though thoughts of sun dried tomatoes, ham, and corn did cross my mind. But I stayed myself and added only a pinch of pepper and cayenne to spice it up a little. Of course, being a lover of basil, I couldn’t get myself to use the dried one. The freshly chopped basil seem to have really bumped the flavor.
Changes and variations: There is much you can do with this muffin: add bacon, ham, sun dried tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, buttered corn, sautéed mushrooms; your options are almost unlimited. I also baked these in a mini muffin pan which made for a perfect bite sized breakfast treat.
Over to the recipe: Tender, bursting with basil, hint of pepper smeared with butter makes these perfect for just about any day.
- Ricotta and Basil Muffin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, dried basil, salt, pepper and cayenne set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, olive oil, sunflower oil and Ricotta cheese and whisk to blend.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the ricotta mixture.
- Stir with a fork just to combine.
- Spoon the muffins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Muffin Monday: Round Up