#SundaySupper this week has an open theme. I’m bringing a simple loaf cake that is the perfect accompaniment with that cuppa right after dinner.
I chanced upon this can of wild blueberries in syrup last week and I knew I could put these to good use. Since they weren’t enough for an entire cake, I went ahead and made us a loaf. The recipe is from The Junior League of Boca Raton’s Savor the Moment and needs no tinkering with. You could try and do a healthy version by cutting down the butter by a fourth and using Splenda instead of sugar. Remember not to use Splenda for the glaze, for that you will have to use sugar in the raw.
Over to the recipe: With a touch of lime, just enough berries and a hint of sweetness – this loaf cake would make for a perfect breakfast or delicious dessert.
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- grated zest of 1 lime
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 4 by 6 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs. Add the milk and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Stir in lime zest and blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
- For the glaze: Mix the lime juice and ½ cup sugar in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Drizzle over the bread after removing from the pan.
Be sure to check out what my fellow bloggers are bringing to the table this afternoon:Lane from Supper for a Steal with her Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe Sasha from Rambling Notebook with her Crock Pot Curried Carrot Ginger Soup Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog with her Recipe for Meatball Subs Amrita from Beetles Kitchen with her Vegetable Manchurian Recipe Lyn from Lovely Pantry is bringing her Butternut Squash and Aspragus Risotto Pam from The Meltaways is bringing her Chicken Enchilada Pasta Carla from Chocolate Moosey is sharing her Sweet Chili Wings Recipe Karen from Notes from the Cookie Jar is bringing her Chickpea Masala Sandwiches Anuradha from Baker Street is bringing her Blueberry Lime Bread Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake is bringing her Creme Brulee French Toast because sometimes Breakfast for Dinner is fun!