Selling you this muffin by telling you how good it is is entirely pointless. All I’m going to do is strongly recommend that you – if you have 20 minutes free today – just go ahead and bake these. The original recipe hails from All Recipes using strawberries and I’ve adapted it slightly.
My changes: used a little more sugar to knock out the blandness, switched to blueberries, and finally, added mashed fresh berries to the cream cheese mixture, giving it a lovely color. The tiny bites of berry are a lovely surprise. The cream cheese mixture is just perfect, I recommend making a little extra so that you can use it as frosting too.
Over to the recipe: Soft and tender to the core with the cream cheese, easily adaptable, these berrilicious muffins are a perfect treat this Monday morning.
- ½ (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup blueberry jam
- ¼ fresh blueberries, roughly chopped or mashed with your hands
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Beat together cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add the fresh blueberries, mix gently and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together egg milk, brown sugar, butter, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon half of batter into muffin cups. Top each portion with 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture and 1 teaspoon jam. Spoon remaining muffin batter on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove muffins and cool on rack. Store in airtight container.
Muffin Monday: Round Up