I must confess that these bars have been on my to bake list for over 6 months. I chanced upon the recipe yet again last week and realized I providentially had all the ingredients at hand. 20 minutes later, the oven was humming with the mix inside.
Isn’t coconut and chocolate a match made in heaven? And if you want it to be a little more sinful, add condensed milk and nuts to it. That’s the variation I tried with these finger-lickin’ little bars with very agreeable results.
These buttery, chewy bars are totally scrumptious. Shredded coconut laced in condensed milk with speckles of chocolate chips…Need I say more?
Chocolate Chip Coconut Bars
Author: Adapted from Fat Witch Brownies
Serves: 12 to 16 bars
For the Crust:
- ¼ cup unbleached flour
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 11 whole crackers, crushed)
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
For the Topping:
- 1¼ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup semi-semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350 F. degrees.
To make the crust:
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and then sift together into a medium bowl. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs and light brown sugar. Mix well. Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the dough with a fork until the dough is crumbly. Continue mixing with your hands until smooth.
- Spread the dough evenly in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan, pressing down with your hands. Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside. While the crust is cooling, prepare the topping.
To make the Topping:
- Mix together the coconut, both chocolate chips, and the condensed milk with a spoon. Add the pecans, if desired. Spread the mixture evenly over the baked crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is well-set and light brown. Watch carefully at the end of baking time and do not let the top become too bubbly or dark.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 2 hours or until chocolate chips are no longer soft. Cut just before serving.
If you do not have graham cracker crumbs then, just use graham cracker cookies and blitz all the ingredients of the crust in the blender.
40 Responses to Chocolate Chip Coconut Bars
I couldn’t put it better than this ‘finger-lickin’ little bars’. Absolutely delish looking I agree coconut & chocolate, WInning!!
Congrats on top 9 today! These little bars do look chewy and delicious-a decadent treat. Not many people can say no to this combo. Great post!
Oh these are two of my favorite flavors and the condensed milk DOES make it sinful! Oh well then, I’m a total sinner! Yum!
Yum…love the condensed milk and chocolate combo!
Great flavors combo.
They look so yummy.
I haven’t made these in years and this post has reminded me how good they are! Love coconut…and chocolate…and walnuts :)
Fantastic combination of flavours, chocolate and coconut do work so well together. Yum!
Ok, we’ve just booked a beach holiday and I am trying to be verrrrry good with my sweets. And then I see this! Irresistible.
No you don’t need to say more, I think I’ll try out this recipe this weekend. But could you tell me what Graham cracker crumbs are? I don’t think we have them in Belgium.
PS : thanks for the friend request on Foodbuzz!
I have to confess. I love condensed milk ;-).
These look so good. Insanely good! I just want to dive through my screen.
i love this combination.. i think i will make these fun bars for sure.. !:)
I have a bit of an unnatural obsession with coconut. You are feeding my habit with these hella-yummy bars! Buzzed :)
I love this type of bar! Chocolate and coconut is such a delicious combination! Your photos are making me hungry!
Before I check out your #applelove post – I had ro leave a comment here to tell you that these look abolutely decadent and amazing. 6-7 layer bars NEVER looked this good!
What delicious – decadent bars! I agree, coconut and chocolate are very good friends!
Love this recipe! I cannot wait to try it. :) Coconut is one of my favorites.
You’re right, coconut and chocolate go extremely well together! These bars look fantastic =)
It IS a match made in heaven :)
Oh my, so much has happened while I was away from this space! I love this particular one. Itching to try it out because I love the combo of coconut and chocolate. As a kid I feasted on Bounty chocolates and happily piled on the kilos :) Need to read up on ‘blind bake’ though. New thing for me.
Oh My. The bar looks great.
OMG!! These bars with the combination of coconut and chocolate look addictive! Great post!
My to-bake list has grown and grown….and I am not sure I would ever finish the whole list..
I love the combination of coconut and chocolate..those bars must be heavenly.
These remind me of German chocolate Cake and I have placed them on my Pinterest for future use….very near future I might add!!!
Chocolate & coconut is such a heavenly combination. I’ve had a vegan recipe bookmarked for a while and am now desperate to try it! Yours look so chewy and moist, must be the condensed milk!!
Yup! I will be making these this weekend. Amazing!!
Wow! Chocolate chips and coconut in one! This is so deliciously tempting!
I’m glad I spotted these! All my favorite flavors in one bar! How wonderful~
Those look incredibly devilish! Addictive bars, for sure.
they look so good and love the new look
Oh my! Yes! Chocolate and coconut together are two of my favorite things! These look gooey and chewy and good!!!
Wow.. the chocolate chip coconut bars look like my kind of dessert! Love the combination… Yum!
Lovely and so creative, I have to agree with you that coconut, nuts, chocs and condensed milks makes such a perfect combo for this bars.
An, I tried this and it worked out perfectly! I think I left it in the oven a bit longer so it was a bit chewy on the first day but now it’s nice and crumbly. Is it true that muffins/cakes/cookies taste better the next day? Leaving them overnight always works wonders for me. They seem to be more flavourful as everything settles down together.
But all in all, great recipe…thank you!
wow- just wow….these look totally fantastic!!
Those look so rich, moist, and AMAZING! My Mom makes a seven layer bar during the holidays, reminds me of them, Ahhhhh….memories:-) Love the coconut love, Yum!!!! Hugs, Terra
chocolate and coconut. mmmm…….
Will you marry me?
Magic Cookie Bars!!! These are soooo decadent. Any thoughts on a non-dairy alternative to condensed milk? Canned coconut milk? Lovin’ your sweet baking! Thx :)
Pingback: Chewy chocolate chip coconut bars with a graham cracker crust « My Morning Chocolate