I featured a Cream Cheese Apple Tart when we embarked on this journey. But there’s just so much more to share and one can bake and use apples in countless ways, and a simple cake is no less elegant than other recipes.
This cake has three basic layers: A vanilla scented sponge, a layer of apples, and finally topped off with almond crumble.
I will not only share more apple recipes with you this month but I’m also inviting you to link up any apple-related recipes you have cooked/baked in the month of October 2011.
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup blanched almonds (See Notes)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 large Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin (1/8 inch) slices
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter an 8 inch (20 cm) spring form pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond and all purpose flour and ground cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the brown sugar and blanched almonds. Set aside while you make the cake batter. (See Notes)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, and beat only until combined. Spoon the the batter into a prepared pan, ensuring a smooth top.
- Evenly arrange the apple slices on top of the cake batter and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for about 45 – 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or softly whipped cream.