Baker Street is hosting its 3rd blog hop. It has become a monthly ritual and we’re absolutely loving it. We’re focusing on apple recipes this month.
I featured a Cream Cheese Apple Tart when we embarked on this journey. But there’s just so much more to share and one can bake and use apples in countless ways, and a simple cake is no less elegant than other recipes.
This cake has three basic layers: A vanilla scented sponge, a layer of apples, and finally topped off with almond crumble.
I will not only share more apple recipes with you this month but I’m also inviting you to link up any apple-related recipes you have cooked/baked in the month of October 2011.
Apple Streusel Cake with Almonds
Author: adapted from Joy Of Baking
Serves: 8 to 10
For The Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup blanched almonds (See Notes)
For The Cake Batter:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 large Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin (1/8 inch) slices
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter an 8 inch (20 cm) spring form pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
For The Streusel Topping:
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond and all purpose flour and ground cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the brown sugar and blanched almonds. Set aside while you make the cake batter. (See Notes)
For The Cake Batter:
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, and beat only until combined. Spoon the the batter into a prepared pan, ensuring a smooth top.
- Evenly arrange the apple slices on top of the cake batter and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for about 45 – 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or softly whipped cream.
– In place of almonds you can use toasted and coarsely chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans. – You can store your streusel in the fridge while you prepare the cake batter, which ensures the butter doesn’t melt.
32 Responses to Apple Streusel Cake with Almonds
Gorgeous An. So much good food.
Love the almond streusel
OMG I want a slice! A big slice haha it looks soo yummy! The tittle and the photos tell me everything!
An amazing cake! I really love streusel and apples. Yummy!
This dessert is amazing-I love the flavors layered here! Let me know when the bakery is open, I would love to stop by and sample all of your treats. Well done.
This cake looks delicious. Almond flour in the topping is a great idea!
This cake looks divine! Love the almond streusel topping :)
This has my name all over it… apples, cake and streusel! Perfection.
Oh yum! Your photos look absolutely divine!
Oh this looks sooo good!
ahhh love the almond streusel topping!! :D yay for more #applelove :)
What a beautiful looking cake! The combination of apple and almonds is hard to resist. Love your streusel topping
I’m loving this!! Your cake looks gorgeous Anu!
What a gorgeous cake!! I added myself to your blog hop..thanks for pointing it out to me. I love the almonds on top. Delicious!
This looks so yummy! And great minds think alike. I’m doing an apple extravaganza too!
Hey Miss Fifi, OMG th ecake looks incredible and looks at th ebloghop it is bursting at the seams and I am so so sad I am not a part of that. Should get to work I guess, no?! I wish I had a slice of your cake now for lunch! heehee
Sounds like my kind of cake, I love a good crumble topping!
Love your cake and thanks for sharing all the tasty links.
Om nom nom! Excellent looking cake. I’m such a sucker for streusel :)
I’m “pinning” this! I”m on the hint for apple recipes becaue I have a few gorgeous organic apples that I want to use up! This sounds perfect!
Gorgeous cake, I want to pick up a slice! Thanks for all the wonderful links.
I love this cake! It;s not only aesthetically gorgeous, but the pairing of apples with almond is always a winner. I make something similar,…with almond paste and a layer of raspberry jam – Viennnese like. I wish I could transport that slice in the photo to my mouth!
Gorgeous, I love streusel cakes and an apple streusel cake sounds fantastic!
Totally my kind of cake with almond topping..love the warmth of recipe with apples & cinnamon!
We love anything apple and we absolutely love streusel coffee cakes so this is perfect! Delicious!
Apple and cinnamon marries so well together! This is great flavorful recipe.. should give it a try
OH YUM! Cannot wait to try this! Check us out sometime @ BloomEveryday.wordpress.com. :) Would love for you to check out some of our recipes.
this looks great! love sponge cake and anything almond! what is this blog hop stuff?
goodness me, this is so gorgeous and you have such baking skills, I can’t stop admiring the pic.
I’m loving all the baked apple recipes flaunting around right now. This cake looks dangerously addicting!
This is a fantastic recipe, it really brings out the flavour of the apple to make it yummy and moist!
Could have been the best apple cake I have seen in a long time!The streusel looks extremely delicious.
Wow this looks SO delicious, what a gorgeous cake! Love your blog, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo