A warm wind, cloud wisps promptly dipping and dancing in placid blue skies. Trees holding steadfast to their leaves, flowers flowering, birds returning home. Breaking free of her cocoon, she walked the hot sand on the beach, the long-awaited summer finally upon her.
The main reason I love doing #baketogether posts are because there are practically no rules and no stress. And that’s what blogging should be about right? You should enjoy every minute you spend on your blog.
This month’s recipe was an easy ‘Summer Fruit Cake‘ And even though Abby left the the whole net wide open with options I went with a Vanilla Dark Cherry Cake.
The batter creates a lovely moist cake which makes it a perfect base for any flavors you might want to add.
- 1⅓ cups (6 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 11/2 teaspoons zest of orange (optional)
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) granulated vanilla sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (5½ ounces) sour cream
- 3-4 tablespoons Black Cherry Preserves
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- Position an oven rack on the middle rung. Heat the oven to 350°F degrees. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9×2-inch round cake pan. Lightly flour the sides and line the bottom with a parchment or nonstick baking circle.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, and sugar with an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed until just blended. Add the orange zest and vanilla along with the second egg.
- Using a wide rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients and the sour cream alternately into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Scrape half the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Add the cherry preserves and pour the remaining batter and spread evenly. Garnish with chopped almonds.
- Bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a rack to cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
In case you missed my Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pound Cake Post, please click here, Baker Street is hosting a cake blog hop and inviting you to share any cake that you might have baked this August.
31 Responses to Vanilla Dark Cherry Summer Cake #baketogether
Ooh nice girlie. Love the texture height and a slice would be perfect to go along the tea I am sipping right now.
black cherry and cream cheese look perfect together!! you are the #bakerqueen. :)
Lovely, An….just lovely!! Love your blog!!!
That is making my mouth water right now! Looks delicious. I can tell it’s moist and yummy :) Send me a slice, please!
Gorgeous, I love the use of almonds!
This is a wonderful looking cake! Your picture really says it all, I have bookmarked-simply delicious!
I just wondered if you fancied taking part in this.. I know you’d be brilliant at it .. ! http://writingacookerybook.blogspot.com/2011/08/random-bakes-of-kindness.html
What a summer delight it is! Love the almonds over the cake.
Lovely! You need to bake alot of things for me when ever we meet girlie :-)
Cherries and almonds pair so well together and haven’t baked with either this summer. Thanks for the reminder, I want to try your recipe.
This is really a beautiful creation.I have this bookmarked now.
Wow that’s a beautiful cake
What a beautiful cake! Vanilla, dark cherry and almond – a perfect combination. Delicious!
Looks absolutely heavenly. Is it bad that I kinda want some of this for breakfast right now?
This looks amazing An -Wish I had a piece right now!
Love the combination of flavors, almonds and cherries are so perfect together. Wishing like others I had a slice. Like now!
Did you compose the first paragraph? Love it. It is a beautiful as your cake.
Hey Paula. I haven’t written the haiku but the first paragraph of the post is mine. Thanks! xx
It’s been so long since I baked a cake! This cake seams to have everything I like and those almonds on top .. very pretty.
Thanks K. I hope you’ll bake one in august and link it on our cake blog hop. ;)
Looks great! Love the texture!! almonds look so beautiful on top!!
Just my kind of dessert treat.
A beautiful cake! Exquisite.
Lovely cake! I love almond and cherry.
Lovely. really nice post. and the cake looks delicious.
Pingback: August #BakeTogether Roundup and for September it’s Cookies
Sent you a tweet about how fantastic this was. Thanks again for posting the recipe…I wouldn’t change a thing! I still have the scent of vanilla on my fingertips. Knowing this is in the kitchen tonight will make me dream about waking up to enjoy another piece with my coffee in the morning :)
(tried to rate this below, but doesn’t seem to be working. Just for the record, I give this 5 stars)
I’m so glad it turned out so well. Hope you’ll post it soon. :)
Oh, I didn’t realize we’re in #baketogether together! I simply live all the flavors in your summer cake, and guess what? I’m a big fan of haiku too!
Haha, I meant LOVE the flavors!