Bell peppers, bacon and caramelized onions in a soft tender muffin perfect when served warm with a smear of cream cheese.
Serves: 1 dozen
- ¼ cup each chopped green pepper, sweet yellow pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped and caramelized
- 4 – 6 bacon rashes, chopped and cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- In a nonstick skillet, saute peppers in butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and basil.
- Whisk the egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in the peppers, onions and bacon
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up