A break from all the sweet muffins and the super indulgent holiday series is much welcome this week. This Monday’s muffin comes from BBC Good Food – an Onion and Triple Cheese Muffin. Since it were the words ‘triple cheese’ that drew me to the recipe in the first place, there was no way I was going to change that aspect.
And then there was that question of bacon, the one thing that you can’t ever get enough of in a savory muffin.
Do you remember the bacon crumble I added onto the Cheddar Bacon Crumble Muffin? That would have been perfect. But I’d run out and had to substitue it with smoked chicken sausages instead. I also switched the green onions for caramelized onions and am happy to report that this probably works better…
So there you have it – Caramelized Onions + Smoked chicken sausages + Triple Cheese – a perfect – if slightly indulgent – breakfast on the go!
- 150ml sunflower oil , plus extra for the tin
- 1 large egg
- 284ml carton buttermilk , made up to 350ml with milk
- 500g selfraising flour
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 140g mature cheddar , grated
- 1 onion , sliced and caramelized
- 2-3 smoked chicken sausages, chopped and sautéed
- small bunch chives , snipped
- 25g Parmesan (or vegetarian
- alternative), grated
- 200g fullfat soft cheese,
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and oil a 12hole muffin tin.
- In a measuring jug, whisk the oil, egg and buttermilk. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, 1 tsp salt and mustard powder, then stir in the cheddar, caramelized onions, chives, sausages and half the Parmesan.
- Use a large spoon to gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry don’t overmix, just lightly combine.
- With the final few folds, mix in the soft cheese cubes. Spoon the mixture between the holes in the tin (they will be quite full), scatter with the
- remaining Parmesan and bake for 25 mins.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up