If you’re heading for a picnic right now, take a few minutes off and go make yourself a batch of these muffins. Actually, it doesn’t matter if you’re going on a picnic. Make them anyway.
I know I say a lot of the recipes are simple but I can’t tell you how truly simple this one is. I made these at 6 AM this morning, half asleep and still sipping on my first coffee. The Graham Cracker crumbs lend a rare texture to these muffins. I added a combination of dark and peanut butter chocolate chips. If only the rest of the day were this easy…
Over to the recipe: Picnic or not, it is time for Graham Cracker and Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers (not to dust, some small chunks remain)
- ½ cup combination of peanut butter chips and mini chocolate chips (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease or line a 12 hole muffin pan.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a microwave safe bowl for about 10 seconds. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and graham cracker crumbs. Stir to combine and put in the fridge until required.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips and cinnamon, set aside.
- In another bowl, combine milk, canola oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Fill each cup no more than ⅔ full and then sprinkle with topping and chips on each muffin.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack and serve warm.
Muffin Monday: Round Up