The #SundaySupper team is featuring Labor Day recipes this week and I can’t think of anything better than this crumb topped coffee cake that also doubles up as the perfect way to mark the end of summer.
Changes and variations: you can think of this as a cross between lemon bars and cake. Interestingly, the original recipe doesn’t call for lemon at all and if could eliminate it completely if you wanted but I like a little zing in the middle. You can replace the blueberry compote with any jam or preserve of your choice. You could also add half a cup of white chocolate chips to the crumb topping. The next time I make this (very soon) I think I’ll add a lemon cream cheese or a white chocolate drizzle on top.
Over to the recipe: A tango of a buttery cake, lemon scented cream cheese, and a luscious blueberry swirl with the perfect finishing of a crumb topping.
- 2¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup homemade or store-bought blueberry jam
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease and flour a 9 by 13″ baking tin.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, and butter with a pastry cutter to make a crumbly mixture.
- Remove 1 cup of the crumbs for topping, set aside.
- Add with baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, and 1 egg to the remaining mixture in the large bowl. Combine until smooth and spread evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Beat softened cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, zest and juice of lemon and 1 egg until smooth.
- Pour over the batter in the pan and spread in an even layer.
- Spoon the jam over the cream cheese layer and swirl with a knife to make a marbled effect.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.
If you’re thinking of creating a Labor Day menu, look no further because here’s a great round up for you to chose from:
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!