This is just one of those recipes where you don’t need to change a thing. These Banana Coconut Muffins makes for a perfect nibble alongside your tea and a combination of banana and coconut takes you to a warm afternoon on the beach, if nothing else, in your head.
Still, if you’re in the mood to go beyond the original recipe, I have a few variations that I can recommend:
– Throw in some nuts. Pecans would be a great choice.
– Banana and coconut both pair superbly with chocolate and adding chocolate chips could be a good idea too.
– My favorite one: Give it a brown sugar topping along with toasted coconut.
– Roast your bananas before adding them to the batter for a lovely caramelized flavor.
– Almond would pair nicely. Adding half a teaspoon of almond essence to the batter and flaked almonds on top would these even more presentable
– Make it banana crunch muffin with a streusel topping.
– And finally, I recommend dried blueberries or cranberries.
The ideas are endless and my Muffin Monday bakers have some pretty great ones too. So be sure to check out their delicious posts.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (3/4 cup)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together bananas, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and ½ cup coconut in a large bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.
- Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly.
Muffin Monday: Round Up