It’s a zingy beginning to 2013 with a zing and one of simplest and most delicious recipes – James Martin’s Lemon Drizzle Muffins.
I made two tiny changes to his recipe – one was adding in fresh strawberries and the other one was avoiding the glaze. Of course the first choice was blueberries but the Lemon Blueberry Muffin recipe I posted a last year is a hard one to beat.
Lemon and strawberries make for a surprising combination. A extra drizzle of lemon scented cream cheese would have been perfect but I had to remind myself that the Holidays and the are over and so are guiltless moments of indulgence. Nonetheless, these made for a great breakfast this morning.
Over to the recipe: Moist and tender, bursting with a lemony kick, and sweet and tart strawberries.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- 240ml/8fl oz milk
- 100ml/3½fl oz vegetable oil
- 300g/10oz plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 lemons, zest only
- 8 to 10 strawberries, roughly chopped up
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, sugar, milk and oil.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and then add the lemon. And gently stir until combined. Add the strawberries and combine until evenly distributed. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the pre-prepared muffin cases.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up
Here’s to a new year, new beginnings, and the continued success of #MuffinMonday! Have a great 2013!