We’re starting our Monday morning with a boozy treat; a simply divine combination of Grand Marnier and cranberries.
While I didn’t really change the recipe this week because the orange and cranberry combination is just incomparable, I did change the method.
I chose to go with dried cranberries for the recipe and soaked them in orange juice and Grand Marnier for about half hour before I started working on getting the muffins together. They became nice and plump, soaking in some of the alcohol-juice-zest concoction.
The result: Sweet and moist citrusy muffins laced with Grand Marnier, and bursting with sweet and tart cranberries.
- 1¼ cups orange juice
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier liqueur
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 2 cups chopped cranberries
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 11/2 Tbsp chopped orange zest
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, grand marnier and orange zest. Add the dried cranberries and let it soak for 30 minutes before you start making the muffins.
- Add the oil to the juice mixture. Set aside as you prepare the muffin batter.
- In a large bowl, combine the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until they’re frothy.
- Combine the juice mixture with the beaten egg whites mixture.
- Add the egg mixture and the cranberries to the flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter among 24 muffin cups
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
#MuffinMonday: Round Up