Boy, are you in for a treat today! The #SundaySupper team has over 60 apple recipes for you. Apple in a cookie? We got it. Apple in a soup or salad? We have that too. If its apple and pork or apple quesadilla – that’s right, they’re all here. And of course the round up wouldn’t be complete without a pie, right?
I’m baking a simple apple pie bread for the occasion. There are just so many things I like about this recipe. For one, it’s a one bowl recipe. All you have to do is keep the ingredients ready and keep dumping them into a bowl. No need to mix the flour and baking powder separately or anything. Easy, right? The other thing I love is that the apples are grated so you can taste them in almost every single bite.
I did make a few changes to the original recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. The recipe did not call for any spices to be added, I added a teaspoon of my homemade apple pie spice mix in the bread and topping. For the streusel topping I added dark brown sugar that caramelized as the bread baked and formed a nice, slightly crunchy, caramel-y streusel layer. I omitted the nuts from the streusel and added tiny currants to the topping as well as the bread. And the final addition was my drizzle – an attempt to substitute the lattice topping with a cream cheese drizzle. A simple concoction of cream cheese, sugar and milk.
Best of both worlds, apple pie and bread, all in one. The bread is super soft, moist and melts in your mouth. It is perfect for Christmas, its perfect for fall. And then you have the taste of apple pie in bread – which makes it totally legal to eat pie for breakfast.
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded, peeled apple (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- ½ cup raisins ( I used currants)
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans OR 2-3 tablespoons raisins (optional. I used small currants)
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in walnuts or pecans ( if using)
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined.
- Add buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add flour, apple pie spice mix and salt; beat until combined.
- Stir in apple, nuts(if using), and raisins ( or currants). Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over batter and bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Let it cool for further 20 minutes and in the meantime, make the cream cheese glaze.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar until well blended. Add in the milk one teaspoon at a time and beat until you get spreadable consistency.
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked