I’m in the midst of reviewing a brownie book (can’t name it just yet) but with tons of brownies lying around from several batches I’ve prepared paired with the strawberries in season, it’s a sign to make our all-time favorite dessert.
This recipe has become a bit of a strawberry season ritual for me. I usually like to make a few glasses glasses and stick it in the fridge; reward for long days at work. The sweet mascarpone whip pairs well with the tart berries. I particularly love the use of orange zest in this recipe. Skip this step at your own risk!
Changes and variations: This is a quick dessert that can be prepared a few hours before or a day in advance. You could set it in a large trifle bowl but I like the idea of individual desserts so I use glasses. Replace the fruit with raspberries, cherries or a berry of your fancy. You could also do a combination of berries. Top with toasted coconuts, nuts, or chocolate shavings. Add a different extract every time you make this depending on the fruit you plan to pair it with. Lemon, coconut, and raspberry are a few options.
Over to the recipe: Crumbly brownies laced with a sensational mascarpone whip topped with tart strawberries and chocolate shavings(!)
- 2 cups brownie chunks
- 18oz strawberries, (If you’re using frozen fruit then it needs to be thawed)
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- Zest of one orange
- 8oz mascarpone cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut your favorite brownies — either made from a box or homemade — into about ¾” to 1″ cubes. Set aside.
- Combine the strawberries, orange zest, and ¼ cup sugar in a bowl. Stir until well-mixed, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mascarpone, heavy cream, vanilla, and remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Beat the mascarpone mixture with an electric mixer until medium-firm peaks form.
- To assemble, place a few brownie chunks in the bottom of 6 individual dessert cups or glasses. Top the brownies with about 21/2 tablespoons of the mascarpone mixture, then with about 3 tablespoons of strawberries.
- Repeat until all the elements have been evenly divided among the cups.
- Refrigerate until serving. Serve chilled.