One treat that is repeatedly requested for in my house is bread pudding and I always feel guilty for not making it often enough. But then again, there are so many new things I’d like to try, I always think twice before going back to an old recipe.
This week’s special however. Our 5-year wedding anniversary is coming up and I decided to combine both: bake something I haven’t baked before and make sure it involves bread pudding for K. So muffin monday bakers and I are Baking Bread Pudding Muffins this week.
The recipe is from Best of Better Baking, a must-have book for this and more fabulous recipes. As always, I’ve made a swaps in my version.
I replaced the brandy with whiskey, added cranberries in place of raisins and gave it a caramelized banana flambé as a topping and served it with a dollop of cream and cinnamon dust.
Perfect for the holidays – and one that got a 5 star approval at home – these delicious Bread Pudding Muffins cannot be missed!
- 7 cups cubed challah or brioche bread or croissants or another bread (1.75 L)
- ½ cup milk (125 mL)
- 1½ cups warm half-and-half or light cream (375 mL)
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar (160 mL)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 1 tablespoon whisky (15 mL) (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted (125 mL)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (80 mL)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (15 mL)
- 3/8 teaspoon salt (1.5 mL)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (1 mL)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (125 mL)
- icing sugar mixed with touch cocoa or cinnamon, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour all but 2 cups (500 mL) of the bread cubes in a large bowl. Add milk and cream and let stand for 3 minutes, then stir to mush up some of the cubes and let the liquid soak inches Stir in eggs, sugar, vanilla, whisky and butter.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, then stir into wet ingredients. Add cranberries and stir well to make a chunky butter. Stir in reserved breads cubes just to mix.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop, fill each muffin cup to just over rim. Place muffin pan on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until muffins are golden with tips of firmer bread cubes golden brown. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Unmold onto a serving platter on wire rack, dust with icing sugar.
Holiday Muffin Monday: Round Up