I am letting you in on a little secret… I have made a list of hundreds of muffins, options for Muffin Monday so that I’m never out of ideas. The flip side? Choosing one for a particular Monday. However, this week was made easy as Aimee (one of our very talented Muffin Monday Bakers) requested a savory Zucchini Muffins. What we’re baking today is a Zucchini and Sesame Muffin. Moist and delicious, these are packed with herbs, zucchini and – my little twist – using whole wheat flour.
- 2 medium zucchini (roughly 300grams)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds (Plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil or melted butter ( I used olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line it with paper liners
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Lightly beat the eggs in another bowl. Beat in the buttermilk and oil.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the mixed herbs and half the sesame seeds.
- Make a well in the centre and add in the liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan and scatter the sesame seeds to top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes
- Let the muffins cool in the pan and then serve warm.
Muffin Monday will be soon coming up with a fabulous batch of Holiday Muffins, so stay tuned. While ideas are simmering, I would love to know what your favorite holiday muffin is.
Muffin Monday: Round Up