Muffin Monday is doing yet another simple recipe this week. These delicious orange date muffins – bursting as they are with a strong and very noticeable orange falvor – only take a few minutes to whip up. To make it a more complete experience, the buttermilk and melted butter give these muffins a rich and tender crumb.
We will be kick starting our countdown to the holiday muffins on 31st October so stay tuned, leave a comment and let us know you’re favorite holiday muffin.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup chopped dates
- ⅔ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a 12 hole muffin tin with liners or grease and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a measuring jar or medium bowl, beat together the orange juice, buttermilk, egg and melted butter.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Fold in the orange rind, dates and walnuts.
- Evenly divide the mixture among the 12 muffins cups.
- If you desire a topping then mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it on the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 to20 minutes, or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Makes 12 regular-sized muffins.
Muffin Monday: Round Up