Amidst the madness that reigns: the day job, my house and social obligations; blogging seems to be the perfect antidote for my overworked mind and body. You want to come back at the end of the day and unwind with a glass of wine and enjoy the lovely concoctions your fellow bloggers have created, so what if they’re only virtual.
It’s on the weekends that I get that window to bake. The act itself is reassuring, let alone the happiness heralded by comfort food. Nothing quite like sneaking into the kitchen for a midnight snack and helping yourself to a sliver of cake.
Every baker has their go-to recipe for a banana cake. And there are hundreds of variations too: raisins, cinnamon, walnuts, chocolate chunks, pecans, caramel, streusel, … the possibilities are endless. One of the variants I absolutely love is the one with rum. A simple cake with ripe bananas. Laced with rum, a little sweet and moist makes it a perfect tea and coffee accompaniment.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 ripe, medium bananas, mashed (about 1 – 1¼ cups)
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ – 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 10-inch bundt pan or 6 mini bundt tray
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light.
- Beat in the eggs one by one, beating till incorporated
- Beat in vanilla extract, vegetable oil, mashed bananas and rum.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mix and stir to combine. Add in the buttermilk, followed by the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat together rum, milk, vanilla and about ½ cup confectioners sugar in a bowl until smooth.
- Gradually blend in additional confectioners sugar until you have a glaze that is smooth and thick enough to drizzle over the cake.
How do you like your banana bread? Share your favorite banana bread / cake recipe.