I love the rain. From a distance, that is. I used to like getting drenched once upon a time; but the more you age, the more you want to keep dry and warm and appreciate the downpour from a distance. Yep, it’s been a long time since a ‘voluntarily drenching’.
You’ll easily agree when I say one of the best ways to enjoy the rain is being in bed, wrapped in a blanket, sipping on a hot cup of tea with a warm muffin right out of the oven. Comfort food for a grey and gloomy rainy day. The crunch of the almonds and the aroma of cinnamon; with each bite you will reminisce about the absent sunshine.
These muffins are easy, light, moist and taste delicious. I especially like the texture of the sliced almonds added on top. You can also dust them with powdered sugar if you want them sweeter.
- 1 medium egg, beaten.
- 11/2 cups of flour
- ¾ cup of milk.
- ½ cup of almonds, chopped
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of oil
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of almond extract
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- Tiny pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl mix together egg, milk, oil and almond extract.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and chopped almonds.
- Make a small well in the centre of the bowl and add the egg mixture. Mix gently till the flour mixture is incorporated. Do not overmix
- Bake at 390F for about 15 minutes