Carrot cake slathered with a sweet cream cheese frosting. Dreamy and inviting, just the sound of that makes your tongue tingle. But save that thought for another day: Muffin Monday has decided to go healthy this week.
A low-fat recipe for a perennial favorite? Carrot Spice Muffins! Tantalizing your taste buds and staying eternally memorable. Packed with spices and shredded carrots, these muffins are great for breakfast on the go or as a late-morning snack. Make that any-time snack.
A moist, light and delicious muffin full of freshly grated carrots, loaded with fiber and flavored with warm spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
My variation: I used a combination of whole wheat and rice flour and added 1/4 cup of shredded coconut in the batter. Topped with toasted shredded coconut and used cranberries in place of raisins.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅓ cup honey or ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk or ½ cup yogurt
- ⅓ cup oil or ⅓ cup melted butter or ⅓ cup applesauce (I used rice bran oil)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup raisins (I used cranberries)
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients- flour, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice.
- In another bowl, mix together wet ingredients- honey/brown sugar, egg, buttermilk/yogurt, oil, vanilla and the carrots, raisins and nuts.
- Gently wet and dry ingredients together until just moistened.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean
Muffin Monday: Round Up