The image of the coffee cake I’d gone to sleep dreaming about was still lucid. I jumped out the bed on waking and checked for ingredients. All in place.
This soft and moist buttery cake has a scrumptious mix of chocolate chips, cinnamon, nuts and sugar that serves as a filling as well as a topping. The crunchiness of the streusel perfectly balanced with a moist vanilla cake and a steaming cup of tea makes this a perfect start to the day. This recipe is not only very easy to make but you end up with a very presentable cake ask well. It keeps well when stored in an airtight container.
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl combine ¼ cup granulated sugar with cinnamon, hazelnuts and chocolate chips; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat the remaining 1 cup of sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time incorporating completely. Add vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding the flour and greek yogurt to the egg mixture stirring just to combine.
- Grease a 9-inch spring form pan (or a 9 x 9 square baking dish).
- Spread half of the batter into prepared pan.
- Layer the tin with half of the streusel topping. Spread the remaining batter over the streusel and top with balance of the streusel mixture.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the loaf is brown and cake is cooked all the way through. Cool in pan on rack and serve warm.